King’s has continued to push the boundaries and challenge established ways of doing things. Our neuro-oncology service is one of the largest in the UK and Europe and sees patients referred nationally and internationally. It was a King’s neurosurgeon, Mr. Richard Gullan, who in the 1990s, introduced the concept of seeing patients in a one-stop multi-disciplinary neuro-oncology clinic, something that has now become established practice throughout the UK.
Meet the Team
The types of conditions we treat include headache, seizures and limb weakness.
We diagnose, treat and manage neuromuscular disorders including:
- genetic muscle conditions such as muscular dystrophies and metabolic muscle disease
- inflammatory muscle disease such as polymyositis and dermatomyositis
- myasthenia gravis
- Lambert Eaton myasthenic syndrome (LEMS)
- muscle pain and cramps.
Our consultants have special interests in a number of areas including genetic muscle disease, myasthenia gravis, muscle conditions during pregnancy, inflammatory muscle disease, channelopathies (periodic paralysis and non-dystrophic myotonias) and the long-term management of chronic muscle disease.
We carry out long-term brain monitoring of adults and children to assess conditions such as epilepsy. Some of these tests can take as long as three to five days. They include:
- scalp video-EEG telemetry (VT)
- home video telemetry
- intra-cranial telemetry.
They all involve having an electroencephalogram (EEG), a painless test that records brain activity while you are being filmed to record a typical attack. You may have this as an inpatient or during an outpatient appointment that could last for one to five hours. Consultants, nurses and specially trained technicians carry out these tests.
Our team of neuroradiologists, neurosurgeons and neurologists provides comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of cerebral and spinal vascular pathologies including:
- cerebral aneurysms
- cerebral and spinal arterio-venous malformations (AVMs)
- cavernous angiomas
- intracranial vascular stenosis and insufficiency.
Our wide range of treatments include:
- interventional neuroradiological procedures (including coil embolisation and stenting)
- neurosurgical procedures including clipping of cerebral aneurysms
- microsurgical resection of AVMs
- re-vascularisation procedures such as STA-MCA bypass.
Neuro spinal surgery
Our team includes neurosurgeons, physiotherapists, pain relief doctors, neuroradiologists and a spinal clinical nurse specialist, enabling us to offer a wide range of treatments and provide the best possible patient care.
We treat degenerative spinal conditions such as back and neck pain, lumbar, cervical and thoracic problems and sciatica.
Professor Ashkan specialises in Glioblastoma’s and is able to provide treatments such as DCVax, if appropriate.